Monday, August 10, 2009

Rock ‘n’ roll cab ride in Byron ...



I just got back from spending four days in gorgeous Byron Bay care of the Northern Rivers Writers’ Centre who organised what would have to be the best writers’ festival I’ve been to thus far. It was my first trip to Byron, and my image of the place wasn’t helped when I received this text message from a Sydney-sider mate known as Gazza:

KEEP OFF THE GRASS!

The festival was held at an open field and the only grass I could see was growing out of the soil. One night I had to meet a mate at a resort where he was staying called the Byron on Byron. I had to catch to catch a cab from Byron town centre. I was walking upto the cab rank when I heard some awfully loud music coming from the first cab on the rank.

The driver was testing out his new iPod and asked if I minded the music. I said I wouldn’t mind so long as I got to choose a song and he turned the music up full blast. He told me he had one AC/DC album called Back in Black.

It would have been a pleasant Friday night drive along the coastal marshes to my destination. Instead, it turned into a 2-man rock ‘n’ roll party with driver and passenger head-banging away to these glorious (and somewhat sacrilegious) sounds:



Suffice it to say that I arrived at my destination much refreshed!

No comments: