Saturday, August 15, 2009

A piece of fan mail ...


Here's some fan mail I received on Friday 14 August 2009 ...

Dear Irfan, whose name I can't properly pronounce,

After hearing, and of course seeing you, at Eltham New Voices Festival, I made sure I read your book: Once Were Radicals.

I found it a very interesting faith journey. My life has been and is still a faith journey.

I am Catholic. I'm a lady approaching late 60's [enough information] and the greatest adventure in my life has been the journey inwards. I am a 4 times a week Mass Catholic and a once a week Anglican meditator. [actualy @ St Margaret's where you spoke.]

I have learned that my church, meaning universal church, lacks in so much, but it's part of my identity and I am dependent on the Eucharist, so therefore I am committed. Fortunately there are many wonderful writers and thinkers who sustain me in my beliefs.

Your story fascinates me and I'm grateful to you for sharing it. If only the wisdom of time could catapult us all into understanding each other, but then the lessons of life wouldn't happen.

How grateful I am for having discovered as Gandhi did, that we are all on the same journey, leading to the same destination, but taking a variety of routes. May God bless you, and your beautiful parents, abundantly.

If the rest of the book leaves me with nothing more to say you will receive this as is, but if I need to make further comment it will be a PS.

Yours in our shared God,

TT

PS. I'm a 4th generation Australian of Irish and English stock. The book just got better and better. A favourite writer of mine; Richard Rohr [Fransciscan]] says on one of his tapes that religion is a necessary means to an end but not the end, and if you manage to progress far enough you will probably feel okay about leaving it behind and embracing the in-dwelling God.


And here is a completely unrelated cartoon.

No comments: